Personal Injury

Pothole Injuries

If you have suffered injuries because of potholesyou may be able to claim compensation.

Potholes litter many of the UK's roads and streets and are a nuisance for any road user. As well as causing damage to vehiclespotholes can cause serious injuries to drivers and passengers. Councils are legally required to ensure their roads are properly maintained and any potholes are quickly repaired. Unfortunately, increasing numbers of road users and council budget cuts have resulted in many potholes being left unrepaired, creating dangerous driving conditions and putting road users and pedestrians at risk of injury.

If you have been injured by an unrepaired potholecontact our team of dedicated personal injury solicitors today to find out if you have a claim. Our friendly and approachable legal experts specialise in handling personal injury claims. 


I Was Injured By A Pothole On A Council Owned Road - Can I Claim?

According to Section 41 of the Highways Act 1980, councils are legally required to repair any potholes that appear on their roads. If an accident occurs because of a pothole, it will be up to the council to show that they did their best to repair the hole and our Solicitors are experts in challenging the methods that councils try to adopt. To help your case, it is crucial you collect evidence of the pothole. Take photographs of the pothole and use rulers, coins or other items to show the length and depth of the hole. If the accident was caught on CCTV, let us know and we can request the footage. If the accident was observed by witnessesask for their details and we can take a statement from them to support your case. Medical reports setting out the extent of your injuries will also be required, along with police reports if the police were involved. We will make the necessary arrangements to ensure you have the right evidence to support your case. Don’t worry  our team are experienced in handling injury claims and will be able to advise regarding your case.

How Much Compensation?

Compensation amounts for any personal injury claims vary considerably and are decided on a case-by-case basis. How much compensation you are entitled to will depend on the circumstances of your case. The courts will evaluate the severity of your injuries using your medical records and will decide on an amount that is reflective of your suffering. You will also be compensated for any financial losses you have incurred because of the accident, such as lost earnings, medical expenses and travel expenses. The more severe your injuries, the more compensation you are likely to be awarded. Cuts, bruises and whiplash are common types of pothole injuries. Whiplash is a type of neck injury that is often sustained if a car drives over a deep pothole. It occurs when the head is shunted forwards, backwards or sideways in an accident. Pedestrians who trip over or fall into potholes often sustains contusions, lacerations and broken bones, all of which can cause significant pain and suffering. To grasp a better idea of how much compensation you could be owedcontact our team today. We will assess your case on a no-win no-fee basis and give you a realistic estimate. 

I Was Injured By A Pothole On A Private Road - Can I Still Claim? 

Most pothole claims are made against councils, but pothole accidents that occur on private roads can succeed in certain circumstances. Our highly experienced team will be able to talk to you through the legal position and help you make your claim.

My Child Was Injured In A Pothole Accident - Can I Claim?

If your child has been injured in a pothole accident, you can make a claim on his or her behalf. Children can't lodge personal injury claims until they turn 18, but parents can act on their behalf, taking on the role of their child's litigation friend. As your child's litigation friend, you will be responsible for representing your child's interestsspeaking with solicitors, and making any decisions that need to be made. Compensation will be awarded to your child and will be held in a court-appointed bank account until your child turns 18. If you don't wish to act as your child's litigation friend, your child will have three years from their 18th birthday to make a claim. The sooner claims are brought to the court's attention, the more likely it is that there will be a positive outcome for the claimant. We have experience in handling children's injuries and will work hard to get the compensation your child deserves.

Get a free consultation
Our expert team of Solicitors are always on hand to meet your needs. Send us your details and we will call you back to discuss your enquiry